Monday 28 March 2011

Ducking and Diving - Goose Style


Roly Poly Goose

This young goose gave me an entertaining half-hour yesterday as he made his bath time, a fun time.  He continually dived into the water coming up yards away then produced some fine rolls, maybe the goose equivalent of a cartwheel?  I have seen junvenile mallard ducks having fun like this but this is the first time I have seen a goose having a whale of a time. 





I hadn't seen this particular goose here before so  I don't know where he came from.  He is pretty distinctive with grey spotches, he looks almost polka dot at times.  He or she, is quite agreesive with other birds though.  He spent a lot of time chasing both geese and ducks away.  In fact he seemed more interested in that than in trying out the duck food I was giving the others. 




When he got out of the water it was obvious he was on his own, but then this is probably not the best time to be joining a flock, this being high breeding season.  The normally gregarious geese are more obviously in pairs or in threes than usual.  I hope he sticks around to make some friends.
I'm sure you will agree, he is a handsome beast.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment