Monday 14 February 2011

Going Goofy on Valentine's Day

The facial expression says it all...

love makes goofs or us all
As one would expect, lots of pairing off today at the canal.

brown-headed male mallard and mate
The Greenhill geese were quite spread out: some (with Canada geese) along in the field above the weir (they spooted the plastic bag with food but couldn't figure out how to get to it), more in the field beside the allotments (also with Canada geese), some in the canal near the bramble field and the rest along at Greenhill.

above the weir, below Micklethwaite

I spotted one moorhen at the weir another at the coppice and two along at Micklethwaite Wharf though they didn't come close to each other while I was there.  It is early days I suppose. 
No sign of the swans or of the female goosander - they are very nervous birds so maybe she has flown.
TweddleDum and TweedleDee were out at Micklethwaite Wharf with VERY dirty beaks and the Swedish ducks gave me an excellent display of field running on the Greenhill.

Swedish ducks doing a runner
I'll be off for a few days while my camera gets cleaned, so hope nothing monumental happens meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment